Community West and the Steelcase Retirees Club Scholarship Program
The 2019 Vern Hyde Scholarship will be awarded by Community West Credit Union to three area students for the fall 2019 semester: two scholarships to current high school seniors starting college in the fall and one to a current college student returning to school in the fall. The scholarship amounts are: $1,500 to the overall high school senior winner, $500 to the high school senior runner-up and $500 to the current college student. The purpose of this scholarship is to acknowledge and reward outstanding efforts in leadership, volunteerism and community involvement. The scholarships will be awarded in the form of a check presented directly to the college or university to help offset the cost of tuition and/or books.
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Eligibility is limited to high school seniors or current college students who live or attend school in Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Kent or Ottawa counties.
- Must be a member in good standing for 12 months at time of funds disbursement (approximately mid-July 2019).
- Must be accepted and attending a two or four-year college/university for the fall 2019 semester.
- May not be an immediate relative of any CWCU employee, CWCU board member or VHS committee member.
- May not be a past Vern Hyde Scholarship winner.
Check back for 2020!
All applicants must submit the following materials:
- Completed scholarship application (below).
- A one-page, typed essay on why you believe you deserve this scholarship based on your leadership, volunteerism and community involvement.
Failure to submit any of the requested materials will result in the disqualification of your application.
DEADLINE: THURSDAY, MARCH 21, 2019 at 5 pm.
Evaluation of all applicants and selection of scholarship winners will be made by the Vern Hyde Scholarship Committee comprised of Steelcase Retirees. Winners will be notified by May 3, 2019.
If you have questions about the 2019 Vern Hyde Scholarship, please contact our Marketing Department firstname.lastname@example.org or 616.261.5657.
In 2008, Vern Hyde, a founding member of Community West Credit Union, helped to develop an annual scholarship program that recognizes students who demonstrate outstanding leadership, volunteerism, and community involvement. Appropriately, the scholarship was named after Vern Hyde, the inspiration behind this program. Vern Hyde’s legacy of commitment to education and youth is well represented through this annual scholarship program.